Monday, November 15, 2010

ASK THE TRAINER: Flat Abs


Q: What can I do to tone my tummy and get flat abs?

A: Please give me a dollar for every time someone asks me this question! I’d be very wealthy. Why is it that most women are obsessed with getting the tummy flat as possible? Second would be toned arms and slim legs, but abs rank number one for nearly every female I run across. Either they are already thin and have a problem middle section, or they have a few pounds to lose, but mostly care about the waist line.

I blogged about this before here. Flat abs is so much more than doing 100 crunches a day. Those are nice, and go ahead and do them if you like. Doesn’t mean you will have that six-pack abs. To get the abs flat, it’ll take overall weight loss. No spot training, that’s just not going to work. Adding in abs training with total body strength training and cardio exercise, and now we’re getting somewhere.

But that’s not all! Didn’t think it was that easy, did ya? Flat abs won’t show under a layer of flab if you are not eating properly. And this involves eating no processed foods, following a clean diet and limiting foods that bloat or cause water retention. Eating 5-6 meals a day, spaced out every 2-3 hours, versus the standard three helps a lot. And you have to stick with the eating and fitness plan if you are really dedicated to getting the stomach tighter.

One more thing, genetics plays a role in how flat your tummy will be and if you can actually achieve a six-pack look. I know you didn’t want to hear that, but it’s true. A flat tummy is yours for the taking, just stay dedicated to get there.

I’ll have a part two to this question later this week with tips on how to achieve a flat tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment