Monday, July 6, 2009

Self-monitoring and Problem-solving

These are the heart of lifestyle modification. As a Lifestyle Coach, there's only so much I can do. I cannot be there with a client 24-7 and grab the cookies from them they are munching on at midnight. I can't make them give it their all in a workout if they only want to just get it done. Whatever the problem is that is hindering them, they must solve this themselves. I can merely help her work through the problem.

If the problem is late-night snacking (uh, which is my issue), then I have to ask why? Okay, I'll ask myself, LOL! Why do I feel a need to eat late at night? Am I hungry. Um, no...well, sometimes. The solution here could be I am not eating enough calories in the daytime (which is very true on some days) so I need to rectify that.

Sometimes I'm not hungry and still grab a veggie burger, make a grilled cheese, or my fave, popcorn. I LOVE the taste of food and those cravings pop up. 9 times out of 10 it's for something salty. I have found that the more I limit salt, the MORE I want it. So therefore, I try to have salt without going over my limit on most days.

Sometimes it's neither of those, I'm just bored, tired, frustrated, whatever. All these emotions lead me to grab whatever junk in sight. This is when it doesn't have to be salty. Just whatever consist of "junk food." Solution: keep the junk out of the house! If all I have to much on are grapes, carrots, tofu, broccoli, beans, oatmeal and some raw nuts...chances are I don't want any of them because they are not junk food (though I've been known to eat a handful of nuts when I can't fight it).

This is problem-solving! Defining the problem: late night snacking. Brainstorming possible solutions: keep the junk out of the house, eat more sodium, and increase calories throughout the day. Ding, ding, ding! I can find out which one works and implement these behavioral changes, which becomes habits, and then result in a new, healthier lifestyle.

It's that easy? Yes, it's that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment