Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Gotta make the list!

I always run into problems with my eating when I am not fully stocked with the good stuff in the kitchen. When the fridge is bare, I don't want to make a meal out of the few eggs I have left, and some dull veggies (usually frozen because the fresh is used first.) When I am all out of veggie burgers, fresh fruits and veggies, and the good whole grains, I grab the junk. Which means I stop and grab chips, cookies, candy or even fast food. Ugh!

Clean foods is the goal, which means shopping the perimeter of the store mostly. Only time I go through the aisles is for things like tea, cooking spray or oil, and maybe some condiments. Here's a quick list of items you can include on your next grocery lists.
Whole grain products:
sprouted grain bread
oatmeal
brown rice
whole grain pasta
quinoa whole
wheat pita bread
whole wheat tortilla

Meat/protein:
dry beans
tofu
vegetarian burgers
tempeh
seiten
raw nuts
edamame

Fruits and veggies
fresh fruit (whatever you like, my faves are apples, oranges, bananas, grapes cherries, watermelon, peaches, strawberries, and pineapple)
frozen fruit (frozen pineapple, strawberries and berries are the best for smoothies)
fresh vegetables (green beans, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, cabbage--I love the cole slaw mixes, cucumbers, bell peppers, salad mixes, tomatoes, onions, eggplant)
frozen vegetables (frozen corn--limit this, peas, broccoli, okra, mixed peas and carrots)

Condiments:
olive oil
cooking spray
mustard (any variety you like, I like the spicy kind
hot pepper sauce (I like spicy food!)
low-carb ketchup (this is not technically clean, but I can't resist myself)
salsa
natural peanut butter
real fruit jam

Dairy:
fat free milk
plain, nonfat yogurt
low fat cheese
low fat cottage cheese
eggs or egg substitute

Pretty simple.
Here's what my meals looked like today:
Breakfast:
1/2 cup brown rice
4 scrambled egg whites
1 slice fat free cheese
2 strips Morningstar veggie bacon

Snack 1:
1 cup mandarin oranges
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
crushed raw cashews
(See the pic! This is my fave snack of all times. I love the way the raw cashews taste slightly buttery, a little sweet and just perfect paired with the cottage cheese and oranges.)

Lunch:
Trader Joes soy nuggets (4)
frozen okra
2 rice cakes

Snack 2
apple
1 string cheese

Dinner;
1/4 serving tempeh
bbq sauce
sauteed spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment